Microsoft passwordless login using FIDO2 security key

Microsoft are offering secure login with security keys so here is my review. Microsoft have published a blog on their announcement and I thought this would be the best link to share because it gives all the background and links to where you can try their system and find out more:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/11/20/sign-in-to-your-microsoft-account-without-a-password-using-windows-hello-or-a-security-key/

• How long did it take you?

I didn’t actually manage to complete the process but the parts I did complete took a minute or so. I was unable to continue with the setup because I do not have a USB or NFC device to hand upon which to store my secure key.

• What did you like/love?

The promise of passwordless auth was great but I dislike the fact I was unable to actually follow through with the setup because I didn’t have the right additional hardware. Raises questions about how this would work on a mobile device.

• What is frustrating/infuriating?

Setup requires a key which can be purchased from two different suppliers that are linked to in the blog post. The cheapest is $20. This puts the cost squarely into the user’s pocket.

• Did you run into any trouble when using it?

Well, I didn’t have the right hardware. Microsoft also wanted to MFA me before the setup process and their text with their secure code in never arrived so I had to go back, start again and go down the email route to get the secure code to satisfy the MFA requirement.

1 Like