Trusona app based login

The site has an introduction video and a nice Demo. What there offering is clear. I haven’t found any useful information on how it works.

The process is to download the app, then if logging in on a desktop scan a QR code with the app.

• How long did it take you?
    For the first time including downloading the app 5+ minutes but that’s because I didn’t have my phone on me.
  • What did you like/love?
    There is no password at all which I liked. Nothing I loved.
  • What is frustrating/infuriating?
    I don’t like having to download an app, particularly the first time I come to a site using it.
    trusona
    I am also not a fan of there odd pulsing QR code. Looks diseased to my eyes, and totally unnecessary.
    Take a look see what I mean
  • Did you run into any trouble when using it?
    I couldn’t work out how to get a QR code on another mobile. It seems to assume you should have installed the app if you are on mobile. maybe not a common usecase but I sometimes have more than one phone with the same account for testing.
  • What could have been done better?
    In a few places I didn’t find the explanation clear, and personally I would like to know a bit more about why it is I should trust it.
1 Like

The reviews on Google Play Store seem to be a nice collection of critical feedback :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Trusona launched in February 2016 and uses a mobile app with QR code scanning for logging into sites on your laptop or the app itself for logging in on your mobile device.

https://www.trusona.com

Trusona is easy to use, they have a good demo on their website. You download the Trusona app and ‘sign up to Trusona’ accepting their privacy terms. The app wants access to your face scan, fingerprint or pin code acting as a ‘locked app’. Once you have finished signing up and verified your email address you can then scan the QR code supplied by the website you are trying to log into in order to gain access.

Now i have the Trusona app, I can log into any site offering Trusona. In all, set up took about ten minutes.

It’s very slick but you do have to go and download an app. For a first-time experience this takes time and is a bit clunky but I can see the long-term benefit.

I had no problems using this and didn’t find it frustrating at all. The only thing I didn’t like is it worked out what my name was without me telling it. Maybe it collected this information from my phone?

I did try to read their privacy policy which I was forced to accept and this was very long and legal.

Here is a guide to ‘What is Trusona?’

Overall this seems a very promising alternative to passwords:

2 Likes

Have you found any info on their business model or pricing? It is notable by its absence. I managed to find out in a round about way that they charge the developer $99 to setup and then $1 for every user signed up but

a) I was not sure if that meant signed up to Trusona or the developer’s website.
b) if that meant every time the user logs in or just the first time.
c) if a user uses Trusona for the first time on my website do I get charged and therefore foot the bill for the next website that Trusona user now signs up to?

Not even sure if the pricing I found is reliable or current.

Do you have a link for the pricing page you found?

Underneath the video in the text:

2 Likes

There pricing structure is interesting, certainly aiming at sites that want to follow “real” users around the internet

Trusona’s pricing structure is aiming to be pretty straightforward. The company charges a flat rate of $99 per person for the initial sign-up service, including verification and the physical TruToken, but after that it’s a $1 charge per verification used through the service.

1 Like